414 Hawthorne Road, Linthicum, MD 21090
The photo above is the Paul family home that was designed and "built" by Bernie's father, Henry James Paul, in 1919. Prior to moving to the Linthicum home, the Paul family lived in Baltimore City, first on the 1600 block of Lanvale Street and then 708 Gilmore Street.
The house had a large yard with many flower and vegetable gardens as well as chicken coops which were tended by the whole family but Bernie's mom, Mary, seemed to be the only one who would "prepare" the chickens for their dinner.
Edee and Bernie were married in the living room of this home in 1930 and lived there with Bernie's parents, Henry and Mary. Once their son, Peter, was born in 1933, this house became home to all three generations until Henry passed away in 1968 and then Mary in 1975.
As shown in the photos above, the house and landscaping experienced many changes through the years. What isn't noticeable in the photos is the 45' by 16' studio that was added by Bernie in 1952 that was used by the couple for their puppetry as well as Bernie's general hobbies and collections.
Despite the tremendous amount of work that went into maintaining a house and yard of this size, Bernie kept the house in perfect shape until he was forced to move into an assisted living facility in 2003, two years prior to his death in 2005.